History of 26 Rue King, Saint-Pacôme, Quebec
an ancestral home in the Province of Quebec
Architecture & Location
Built in 1903, the house is a 24 room English style mansion featuring a three story rectangular plan and a wooden shingle siding. It is capped with a tiled roof with several gables. A vast covered gallery girdles this mansion. The site is located on the west bank of the Ouelle river in the village of the Municipality of Saint- Pacome, County of Kamouraska.
From 1860 English speaking industrialists began to exploit the surrounding wood forests in Quebec along the St Lawrence river. In 1862 Hugh McDonald sold all his properties in Quebec to Charles King from England. Charles King sent four sons to Canada to do business in the wood industry in different parts of Quebec. He entrusted the management of the Saint Pacome property to his son Edmund King (1835-1905). Edmund King started a major lumber mill business in St Pacome in the 1860’s which ran for many years under his control.
In 1903 Edmund King sold the lumber business in Saint Pacome to the Power family from Ireland who had settled in Quebec City. The Power family continued the lumber business in St Pacome into the 1950’s. It was in 1903 that the mansion located at 26 rue King built by Edmund King was finished. Edmund King had planned to retire in this home but unfortunately died of pneumonia in 1905.
The house remained in the King family after the death of its builder Edmund King in 1905. It was occupied by Harold Harding from Riviere-Du Loup, whose father was an Anglican Minister in a small Anglican church, and which is now a museum in Riviere-Du-Loup. Harold Harding lived with his wife, Ida King, a daughter of Edmund King in the house. Together they had six children. Ida King died in 1961 and Harold Harding died in 1973. One of their daughters Vivian Harding who had not married remained living in the house. When she died in 1975 the house was purchased by Gail Power, daughter of Gwyneth Power, who was another of Harold Harding & Ida King’s children. The house remained occupied by Gail Power’s mother Gwyneth Power until 2002 when Gail and her husband Philip Johnston returned to Canada from the Turks & Caicos Islands and resided in the house until 2017.The house was finally sold out of the family in 2017 to a family trust to preserve the historic estate.